-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Mark
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 3:54 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Dyn Alloc gives 2nd instance of same GDG name

I have a task that allocates a few GDG files during its running
instance.

I allocated one instance of a GDG and got the G0207V00 extension.

4 seconds later, I allocated another instance (different DDNAME) and got
the very same G0207V00.

It would appear that the first 207 instance was "deferred.".  And that
before it could be 'rolled in', we had allocated another instance of the
GDG.

This is not an isolated instance.   It seems to happen a handful of
times over several hours.
<SNIP>

not simple batch job <<<<<

Welcome to a very hot dry place. You have a small bit of company.

Generally speaking, the rules for GDG and GDS creation are different
when under SMS for NON-TAPE than they are for TAPE. The rules for TAPE
are pretty much the same for NON SMS DASD.

If you are going to tape, catalog processing is not done until either
CLOSE (w/ "FREE"), or STEP END.

In order to prevent the problem you see, you will have to hold the
ENQUEUE on the GDG base UNTIL your file (assuming tape) has been closed
(and catalog processing is done). Then you can release the GDG base
ENQUEUE.

IF you are using NON SMS managed GDGs, then you will have to FORCE
catalog your self (simulating SMS behavior) DASD based GDS to overcome
this, if you do not get and hold the ENQUEUE on the BASE.

I hope this helps. It is what I have gleaned from my co-worker who has
been battling this over 6 months. And this for a product that has been
handling GDGs since before SMS.

Regards,
Steve Thompson

Opinions stated by this poster may not be those of poster's employer.