------------------------<snip>-------------------

> Hello All.
>
> I am in the market for a new notebook/laptop.  I am looking at DeLL,
> Toshiba and recommendations from this group.
> Any suggestions are gratefully appreciated.
>
> One thing that has turned me off is having no choice between Vista &
> XP Pro.
>
> TIA

As a frugal small-business employee, I get a new laptop roughly once every 3
years, typically next
to top-of-the-line with all the fixin's.  I have owned Toshiba Satellite Pros
(2) and Tecras (2) for
the last 12 years; I have no desktop machine and my laptop runs nearly 24x7,
though I've started
using Stand-By more frequently to reduce machine wear.

After some frustration with Toshiba customer service and a few too many
hard-drive and power supply
depot-repair experiences, I made the switch to IBM ThinkPad two year ago, and
I'll never go back to
Toshiba, unless I see some change with the Lenovo purchase and the company's
attitude to customer
service -- as of today, I'm quite happy with the decision and I'm looking
forward to my next machine
in 2008.

I do recommend purchasing the 3-year warranty, if not included in the price,
and you can typically
call the company to purchase the additional 2-year coverage, after purchase.
It's an individual
decision though as to whether or not one must touch a particular brand/model
machine (keyboard
layout / form-factor) before purchasing, so the last consideration I would
contribute is whether you
buy online (my preference is CDW -- they have great ready-to-ship machines with
no-fluff, installed
OEM business software packages, and they will most likely match other
mail-order prices) or at your
local electronics store (we have no such big-box gadget here in Key West,
Florida, and I don't do
RadioShack, not even for batteries anymore).

Regards,

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.

P. S.  Purchase (or upgrade) as much memory as you can afford, and if possible
purchase the largest
single-chip size (for example, one 1GB chip instead of two 512MB chips), in
order to consider an
upgrade say at holiday time!