<Snipped>
> Why should you care?  In addition to the time savings and productivity
> benefits (which can be measured in money terms), if you're doing COBOL
> syntax checking on your PC under WDz you're probably going to avoid some
> compile cycles on your mainframe.  That could mean you save some CPU on
> your development/test LPAR(s).  And that could mean you save some more
> money.  This is especially true if you're CPU-starving your developers so
> that they cannot compile quickly enough during their prime shift.
> Developers cost money, so I'm a big advocate of keeping them happy and
> productive so they can do a good job.

Yes, but the cost per seat is extremely high.  When I was working on a
CICS/TS web-enabled application last year and wanted to get a copy of WDz
(or maybe it was Eclipse with Websphere addons, not sure now), I was told
that it would cost USD$7K for me to be allowed to run that software on my
company PC with CICS and DB2 support included (I needed both).  No way was
that happening.  I don't think I'm alone in wanting better application tools
that the company budget just cannot support.  And it's not just IBM,
MicroFocus COBOL has the same problem -- good tool, extreme cost per seat
(about USD$8K the last time I checked a few years back).  Even with
negotiated volume discounts, thousands per seat is just unsupportable.

One or ten "free" copies of WDz do no one but the sysprog staff any good,
because hundreds of ordinary developers never get to use them.

For my project, I wound up using open source HTML and java tools to get the
web side of the job done.  Somewhat clumsier, but it worked and the price
was right.

Peter

and
may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of
the
attachments from your system.