copy each into a pds/e, then reset the stats.  edit the pds/e, then S * G

of course if you use df/sort to copy them, just look at the output of each
copy.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Steve Grimes
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2007 4:30 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Counting Records in Files

Hello! z/OS 1.7 here!

This is (I hope) a pre-Friday easy opinion question.   The only parameters
are, that we have no real third party tools to solve this except SyncSort.

We need to count the number of records in about 100 flat files.    Since
we're already running these through SyncSort, I'm thinking of keeping and
parsing the output of these with Rexx, but thought I would ask first to see
if there are other nifty first.

TIA!

Stg

In order to fulfill auditor requirements, Focus needs to compare the number
of records FTP'd to FOCUS with the number of records used in its night
production database loads.

There are currently ten jobs that FTP over 100 files to the FOCUS server.
Most of these jobs are put through an MVS SYNC SORT process to place the
data in the correct format, so a total record count for those datasets is
available in the SYSOUT.  Getting this information manually is very time
consuming, so we want to develop an automated method.

Since a job that would read these counts from the SYSOUT file would be
cumbersome to write, I would like to know if there is a means of directly
counting the records in a dataset.  One method of counting is provided by
SYNC SORT, using the TRAILER parameter.  Do you know of any others?