Jim McAlpine wrote:
On 7/27/07, Steve Comstock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Well, NSYMBOL(NATIONAL) forces on DBCS; for NSYMBOL(DBCS) you
can still have, I think, DBCS or NODBCS.

Tom Ross told me because there are a lot programs in Asia
using DBCS they wanted to support having DBCS strings
embedded in Unicode strings.

I was never totally convinced that is a good idea, but
that's what I was told.

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

OK, but why should that specifically exclude the use of NSYMBOL(NATIONAL)
and NODBCS together.

Jim McAlpine

Like I said: I was never totally convinced. It seems to me to be
reasonable to compile with the options "picture character 'N'
means Unicode, not DBCS" and "There is no DBCS data in this
program". In the grand scheme of things, it seems to be a nit:
this is how it is.

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

  z/OS Application development made easier
    * Our classes include
       + How things work
       + Programming examples with realistic applications
       + Starter / skeleton code
       + Complete working programs
       + Useful utilities and subroutines
       + Tips and techniques