---------------------<snip>----------------------

Maybe I'm a bit unusual, but I have always wanted to visit Poland.
Russia, too.
Russia (at least Leningrad) was very un-impressive; drab, boring, lousy food, but beautiful artwork in The Hermitage museum.. Warsaw and Crakow were interesting and fun. Can't complain about the food, although it was somewhat outside my experience. Polish people seemed more friendly than Russians; more outgoing and willing to criticize governemts, both theirs and mine. This was in 1968. I'm sure much has changed since then.

I had one bad experience in Leningrad. I'm an architecture freak and was busily photographing buildings. Well, I snapped a pic of the local KGB headquarters and my film was impounded. I was told that I'd be given back the other pics, but not that one. Not wise to argue with a uniformed man carrying a submachine gun, but I've never seen the other pics since that day.