I was thinking of the process we are going through right now.   There
are some applications that we will be dropping.   The conversion is a
convenient way to drop printed bill, credit card processing, etc.

It's much harder politically to drop an application in the legacy
system.   But some applications just aren't cost effective (or maybe
secure or private or whatever) and should be dropped.

Other processes should be re-designed, but none of the customers want
to pay for such a redesign - the old process works OK.

In the old days, we could go to a new database or package and
accomplish most of this without getting rid of our old computer.