Well folks,

until M$ came along, and before KiB became a standard, I was taught the
convention as:

Disk: always use decimal value,   i.e. KB = 1000 Bytes.

Memory: always use binary value, i.e. KB = 1024 Bytes.

That made it easy:.....

Now with M$ (and others), you never know where they use 1000 or use 1024
in their arithmetic to calculate the number they report to you on memory or
disk usage. Very much like the Mix-N-Match shops.

Which is one reason I seem to always use Tracks/Cylinders when
reporting/allocation 3390 dasd space (assumptions gone).

Regards
Bruce Hewson