Ron

Take a look at the attached text - use a non-proportional font - which shows that, using traditional level 3 support, QDIO cannot be used with SNA *natively*. You need Enterprise Extender in order to run SNA using QDIO because QDIO only runs IP natively.

This so-called level 2 support came in after I got my experience with OSAs but I'm going to assume it won't help you - maybe someone else can comment.

The text is a version of the document from the IBM redbooks site with URL:

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/tips0088.html

It was published in 2002 so I guess it's missing some additions to the OSA range. However, the principles almost certainly apply.

-

Incidentally, while I have your attention. I recently posted regarding "good practice" when posting on IBM-MAIN. We generally expect that, when a new thread is started, the title is not prefixed with "Re:" - short for "regarding" or possibly for Latin scholars "concerning", that is, the current post refers to an earlier post forming part of an ongoing thread. In fact, I didn't cover this point because, as far as I have noticed, you are the only one who continues threads "out of the blue". <g>

Another incidentally: OSA issues normally get aired on IBMTCP-L although it probably doesn't matter since the population of those who attend to IBMTCP-L seem to be a subset of those who attend to IBM-MAIN.

Chris Mason

---

OSA-Express modes of operation

This Technote shows the supported modes for the OSA-Express2 and OSA-Express features

Depending on the OSA-Express2 or OSA-Express features you are using, two operating modes are supported. The following table gives an overview of the Queued Direct I/O (QDIO) and non-QDIO modes of operation based on the supported features.

Supported modes of operation

Feature CHPID type SNA TCP/IP 3270 OSA/SF required

OSA-Express2 10 GbE LR     OSD (QDIO)             (ab)     x

OSA-Express2 GbE           OSD (QDIO)             (ab)     x

OSA-Express GbE            OSD (QDIO)             (ab)     x

OSA-Express 1000BASE-T     OSC (3270 data stream)                  x
                          OSD (QDIO)             (ab)     x
                          OSE (non-QDIO)         x        x             x

OSA-Express FENET          OSD (QDIO)             (a)      x
                          OSE (non-QDIO)         x        x             x

OSA-Express 155 ATM LANE   OSD (QDIO)             (a)      x             x
                          OSE (non-QDIO)         x        x             x

OSA-Express 155 ATM Native OSE (non-QDIO)         x        x             x

OSA-Express Token Ring     OSD (QDIO)             (a)      x
                          OSE (non-QDIO)         x        x             x

a. SNA over IP with the use of Enterprise Extender or TN3270
b. Layer 2 support allows for non-IP protocols, such as SNA and NetBOIS

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ron Wells" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>