Hi every one.
I am back with another question

I studied one flash based tutorial and some other web pages/pdf presentations. I should say that Flash based learning materials are far better place for new learners to start from.

As There are several OSs that run on System Z, Which one is the Default OS on IBM mainframe? I mean, Does IBM sell all of them to a customer when it buys a mainframe or customer has the option to select the OS ?

Another question is, Z/VM allows us to install several "Linux for System Z" on it and for example cluster the application server which is installed on it. so we can achieve high availability and handle heavy work load, what about Z/OS ?
It has not a virtual machine, so it can run one OS at the same time.

My question is,
When we have websphere and DB2 as main components of a big system, which OS can be selected for them? I thought that Z/VM could be the choice as it simulate the way that we already deploy application server instances and database, but If Z/VM is correct choice, what is use of Z/OS?

Thanks

Ted MacNEIL wrote:
It has gone from MFT to MVT to SVS to MVS
to MVS/XA to MVS/ESA and now z/OS.

You missed OS/390 (between MVS/ESA and z/OS).

-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!