>> Sorry, Dave, I meant for the Java z390 assembler emulator.  (-:  Or maybe
>> it could be done in Eclipse, that would be cool.  That would be really cool,
>> to write an assembler program in Eclipse like you write Java and have the
>> z390 emulate, show errors, and debug.

Lindy, all

The open source z390 project has been developed, debugged, and maintained
using Eclipse on both Windows and Ubuntu Linux.  When I can't figure out
what is causing a Java error processing assembler source in the macro
assembler, I run the test program using Eclipse and set break-points at the
processing methods in question.  For large progams it is sometimes necessary
to add Java code to test for specific condition and then put the breakpoint in
that code to stop exactly where I want.  Then you can step through Java
code looking at variable values etc to see what went wrong.  With the z390
trace options on you can also see the trace info generated for expression
parsing etc. on the Eclipse console log which is helpful keeping track of where
I am in the macro processor logic vs the lower level Java code.  The same
applies to the linker and emulator for debugging.  I can use Eclipse to set
breakpoint on the method for emulating any instruction such as MVC, MVCL,
MVCLE, MVCOS and exec z390 load module program with TRACE and/or TEST
options on to stop at a specific instruciton and step through the Java code
watching the instruction register and memory fetches and the caculations and
store operations performed.

However, such Eclipse debugging is not for the faint of heart and unless one
learns mainframe assembler and Java it could be very confusing dealing with
multiple levels of abstraction and emulation.  I do have the development of a
z390 GUI interactive source level mainframe assembler debugger on my
development list (RPI 104 opened 11/18/05) coming after VSAM and SQL
support.  See z390 open RPI list here:

http://www.automatedsoftwaretools.com/z390/z390_Support_Request_Log.ht

Don Higgins
[EMAIL PROTECTED]