Seems to me that DIV means Data in Virtual, not you reading a linear dataset.
Persistent would imply to me the service handles reading/writing the data you
access using the DIV macros. I would not expect the contents of the linear
dataset to be handled with VSAM macros, just like DB2 using linear. The
internal format is application dependent, in this case, DIV.