On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 11:53:39 -0400, Pinnacle
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Running z/OS V1R8.  I've found that when I use CONSOLIDATE on my
DEFRAGs,
>the DEFRAG doesn't work.  I had a run this morning where CONSOLIDATE
>actually increased the frag index, and then a subsequent DEFRAG without
>CONSOLIDATE dropped it considerably.

>From the DFDSS Administration Guide:

Notes:

1. The process of combining data set extents can cause the freespace to be
more fragmented than it was before the operation began.

2. Despite the fact that DFSMSdss performs freespace defragmentation
following the consolidation of data set extents, there is a possibility that
the
fragmentation index may be higher following a defrag operation with
CONSOLIDATE specified than before the operation began.

Source:
(Watch wrap)  http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-
bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/dgt2u250/9.2?