On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 12:17:20 -0400, Walt Farrell wrote:

>I believe the time in SMF records (for a job identification) is the time
>the job was processed on the card reader.  And of course, in the days
>where we had physical card readers, I doubt you would have easily gotten
>two jobs with the same date/time value, simply due to the physical
>delays associated with reading cards.  Though I suppose, with short
>enough jobs and a fast enough reader you might have been able to manage
>it even then.  I don't know what the time between cards was on the
>fastest card readers.

We actually ran into the problem accidentally (of course) at Iowa State way
back in the mid-1970s because we had two (2) card readers attached to the
system.  One was the venerable 2540 and the other was a 2501.  If the same
jobname was being used (in the test reproduction case they made a few
hundred copies of the same job and fed them into both card readers
concurrently, "synchronized" via walkie-talkie.  By duplicating the jobnames
across a large enough number we eventually got two to enter on the same
timestamp.  (The experiment was similar to many atomic beam experiments...
not coincidentally.)

--
Tom Schmidt
Madison, WI