----- Original Message ----- From: "Klein, Kevin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2007 12:44 PM
Subject: Domain Name Server (DNS) on z/OS?

Our most recent disaster test proved to be a (drum roll) disaster. Fortunately for me if not for my company, since I'm on z/OS, 95% of our problems were with the Wintel platforms. We had z/OS (1.7) up in two hours but spent the remainder of the test ironing out server restores. One item that has arisen because of this is questioning if we need to keep our DNS on a Windows server. We had everything restored and ready to go on z/OS by noon but had to wait another 6-8 hours for a DNS before we could test WAS. Specifically:

* Does z/OS have any DNS services? If we could get a DNS going with z/OS we'd have a definite ETA on when it's available.
* If so, is it recommended to run your DNS on z/OS?
* Again, if so, does anyone have any experiences/recommendations they'd care to share?

I haven't begun looking at manuals yet. That will be my next step unless I get a concensus that it's fruitless.

Kevin,

I recall reading a recent IBM announcement that DNS was being pulled from z/OS (sorry, I don't remember when). You can probably run it until then, then maybe try to get an open source solution and install under Unix System Services.

Regards,
Tom Conley