I was amazed to see how many posters effectively said "don't use this technique"!

QSAM update-in-place is a very simple, easy-to-use and effective update technique that has been used in countless applications for goodness knows how many years. Only the application programer will be aware when the technique has been used, there's nothing to tell sysprogs or operators that it's in use and absolutely no need for them to know. One of it's strengths is the ability to have concurrent batch updating of a file that is also being used read-only by other programs, perhaps for online customer queries, the sort of thing that today you'd be using a fully-blown database for.

But my real point is that we need to get a grip on the primitive impulse to discard, deride and detour 'round the unfamiliar; that's the path back to anarchy and the dark ages.

Graeme.