Well, yes I know of some ways. But they are, in my opinion, more
difficult to write and maintain than implementing SMS for this. The
methods are to use exits.

The first exit that comes to mind is the IGGPRE00 exit. This is DADSM
allocation preselection. The exit would examine the jobname (LPSERVE).
If not LPSERVE, then rc=0. Otherwise, look at the selected DASD volser.
If you "don't like it", then return RC=8 with with a reason code of
X'47B0'. How to determine is up to you. We had this many years ago and
it did a RACROUTE to see if the user had READ access to a RACF profile
protecting the volume. If it did, then the volume was acceptable. If
not, then "try again". If the exit denies every volume passed to it,
then allocation fails.

The second exit which comes to mind is IEFDB401. This is the dynamic
allocation validation exit. This exit could be used to modify the SVC 99
parameter list. What would be possible would be to create a special
ESOTERIC unitname for LPSERVE to use. Look at the SVC 99 parm list and
if the UNIT= parameter is specified, change it to your ESOTERIC. If you
don't find a text unit for the UNIT= parameter, add one using your
ESOTERIC. This does require a ESOTERIC just for this function and that
the appropriate DASD volumes be on the addresses assigned to this
ESOTERIC. Another possibility would be to add a text unit specifying the
VOL=SER parameter, forcing all allocations to a single volume, hard
coded.

Off hand, that's all that I can think of. Really, implementing a minimal
SMS environment is much easier and safer than doing any of the above,
honestly.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged
and/or confidential.  It is for intended addressee(s) only.  If you are
reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication is
strictly prohibited and could, in certain circumstances, be a criminal
offense.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by reply and delete this message without copying or disclosing
it.