From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Chicklon, Tom
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 9:50 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: SMS Question - Urgent

Dean, there's may be an unintended consequence to be careful of now that
you added null to the list of valid unit types.

If you have a job that stacks datasets on a single tape volume by using
UNIT=AFF=ddname such as the following:

//TAPEV01  DD  DSN=SDR.BKUP.ML1001(+1),DCB=(SYS2.DSCB),
//             UNIT=LTAPE,DISP=(NEW,CATLG),LABEL=(1,SL),
//             VOL=(,RETAIN)
//TAPEV02  DD  DSN=SDR.BKUP.DBA002(+1),DCB=(SYS2.DSCB),
//             DISP=(NEW,CATLG),LABEL=(2,SL),
//             UNIT=AFF=TAPEV01,VOL=(,RETAIN,REF=*.TAPEV01)

The ACS routine will have null for the unit for TAPEV02 .

I burned myself by changing an HLQ from non-SMS to SMS managed, and with
the logic as it was in my SMS routines, I was setting a storage class
for the second tape data set (we don't SMS manage tapes) and the
allocation ended up failing.

May not impact you at all, just something to look to make sure it
doesn't bite you.

Tom Chicklon

<snip>
I modified the ACS routine to include ''' (quote quote) in the filter
list of valid DASD units.
</snip>

email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search
the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html