Thanks for the quick response.
OK here is my code.
I have two simple starter programs, PGM64A in AMODE 64 and PGM A in AMODE 31
I need to pass a field CRITDTE to PGMA and return a return value from PGMA.
The code is below.
PGM64A CSECT
PGM64A AMODE 64
PGM64A RMODE 31
            BAKR   14,0
            LARL    13,SAVEAREA
            LARL    12,PGM64A
            USING  PGM64A,12
            LGHI    15,0
            LLGF    1,CRITDTE
            LLGT    15,=V(PGMA)
            SAM31
            BASR    14,15
            PR        ,

CRITDTE  DS     CL8
SAVEAREA       DS     0D'0',F'0',C'F1SA'

            LTORG
            END        PGM64A.

I can BASR to PGMA no problem. Every time I try to modify the inbound parm,
I get S0C4 / Reson 11. I am not sure where I am coding incorrectly.
Following a few other posts I tried difft combinations of Loaing parm
including LA, LLGT but it is not working. Since if I don't alter the inbound
block  it runs, I am making some glorious mistake on passing the parm. I
cant seem to figure out,.

pgmA is a vsery simple subroutine that only has a
L    3,0(1)
LA   5,UPDTXT
MVC  0(7,3),0(5)     =======>Receive inbound value in Reg 3 and update with
the value in updtxt