Johnny

Off the top of my head, you need commas in order to show that the two possible positional operands are not specified. Maybe this is necessary only when you specify one of the positional operands.

But then "off the top of my head" isn't really good enough when the manual is potentially before me so, pulling up the START command in the MVS Commands manual I found the following under "Syntax":

<quote>

Note: For any variation of the START command, if you omit devicetype (or devnum), or classes, or volumeserial, you must supply a comma for each one of these parameters that you leave out. Do not supply any commas, however, after the last parameter you specify.

</quote>

which looks like it might be some way to explaining your experiences. Maybe it's just not that well expressed!

Here's the template for the START command in the manual for reference:

<quote>

S membername[.identifier][,devicetype|,[/]devnum][,volumeserial][,parameters][,JOBNAME=jobname],JOBACCT=acct_info][,SUB=subsystemname][,keyword=option[,keyword=option]...]

</quote>

Certainly you don't need extra commas when you supply keyword parameters in order to supply values for the keywords specified in the procedure - and - you are not specifying any positional parameters.

I *think* the "TERM LENGTH ERROR" is because the logic behind the START command is trying to treat the keyword=value as a positional parameter with a fixed length. The volume serial number seems likely, length limit 6 characters, but "SUB=JES2" would also be too long! - unless the parsing stops at the equal sign and discards the rest. The mystery deepens!

Anyhow there are a few ideas to continue your testing.

I hope one of the very many JCL/system command gurus in the list can clarify these wild surmises come the working week.

Chris Mason

----- Original Message ----- From: "Johnny Luo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>