The technique suggested is a great idea to help YOU determine which
'maintenance bundle' is running on which system. It's also valuable to
create a simple display mechanism--even a Rexx--as an easy way to query the
level of each system.

But I need to be a tad contrarian here. For us at least there really is no
'exact maintenance level'. Even with a particular RSU level installed,
there may be exceptions at both ends: PTFs that have gone PE before actual
APPLY and therefore do not install, and additional HIPER PTFs that we
usually include in any maintenance bundle because, well, that's what HIPER
means. Therefore what you need is an 'approximate maintenance level' that
can take any form you prefer. We use a very simple one-letter designation:
1.8A, 1.8B, and so on. Z wraps around to A again. At any moment we can
distinguish one level from another by querying the CVT identifier mentioned
by others. Each level contains whatever it contains, and keep a copy of the
target zone associated with each level so that we query any system in the
enterprise by level designation.

maintenance level?', there's no substitute for checking SMP/E for the exact
level of a particular element of interest.

.
.
JO.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company
Electric Dragon Team Paddler
SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager
626-302-7535 Office
323-715-0595 Mobile
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

             Mark Zelden
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             CHNA.COM>                                                  To
             Sent by: IBM              IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
             Mainframe                                                  cc
             Discussion List
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Re: Any way we may know the exact
                                       maintenance level of z/OS on a
                                       system??
             08/27/2007 07:20
             AM

             Please respond to
               IBM Mainframe
              Discussion List
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                   .EDU>

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 09:24:43 -0400, Bob Shannon
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>We update CVTVERID with the maintenance level as part of our cloning
process. >This works much better than I thought it would. It's also
>reported on by MXI.

And also reported on by my IPLINFO exec and ShowMVS.

--
Mark Zelden

<snip>