On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 02:37:52 -0500 Amlan Prasad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:>I have got a requirement to calculate the checksum of the full file for COBOL
:>based application running on a mainframe.
:>I have the CRC checsum calculating assembler routine which can calulate the
:>checksum for one record or for a portion of working-storage but I need the
:>checksum to be calculated on the whole file after it has been complteley
:>created.
:>The number of records in the file also is not fixed so how many bytes the
file
:>is occupying can not be fixed in the begining.

You do not need the entire file to be in memory to calculate a checksum.

--
Binyamin Dissen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.dissensoftware.com