I think the debate of whether this story is plausible or not is better
taken offline.  Or you can just agree to disagree.  I think the important
point that everyone would agree on is that when you are reaching maximum
CPU capacity, it's always a good idea to gather data and understand what's
driving that CPU before you upgrade.  You may find tuning opportunities to
reduce the cpu requirements, or you may just get a better understanding of
what workloads are driving that usage and what kind of latend demand you
have.  100% CPU might not be so bad if your critical work is getting what
it needs and discretionary work is taking the rest (I know the decision on
what's discretionary can be a political battle!).

CICS performance statistics (SMF 110) have all kinds of great information
to help you understand the characteristics of your transaction workload
including CPU usage.  I'm no CICS expert but I've seen that data put to
great use by those who know how to use it.

Have a nice day,
Dave Betten
DFSORT Development, Performance Lead
IBM Corporation