OS2PING is very handy indeed.  (There's also OS/2's NETPING, which does
much the same for NetBIOS connections.)  You could boot into OS/2 and run
this command.  OS2PING (and NETPING) are not installed automatically, but
you can find them contained in the MPTSAPLT.ZIP file.  This file is located
somewhere within the MPTS (Multiprotocol Transport Services) feature of
OS/2.  Simply unzip what you need.  I would imagine today's modern
eComStation still has this, and conceivably you could make a bootable CD to
run it.

I've found a not-quite-as-handy Linux substitute, described here:

http://www.gcom.com/linux/lis/cmds.html#ldltest

See the second ldltest example for the relevant syntax.  Likewise, you may
be able to use this from a bootable Linux CD and thus make it a
near-universal troubleshooting tool from a particular workstation.

I haven't found a real equivalent for Windows, but perhaps someone else has
an idea.

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect
Specializing in Software Architectures Related to System z
Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan and IBM Asia-Pacific
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]