-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Britz, Anton - CO 7th
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 10:33 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: 1401 simulator for OS/360

Hi,

I am still not sure why anybody would want to run an IBM operating
system on a PC.

The only possible reason is "Commercial Software" written for the IBM
operating System , that you want to port to a PC platform but these
days, the same "Commercial Software" on a mainframe, is available for
the small/midsize platforms.

So my conclusion with all these simulators/Hercules etc is that it is
because we have a lot of bored and confused MVS/zOs System programmers
that wants to make the whole world speak IBM.
<snip>

Because it allows them to develop software, or run/test software that
requires S/3xx architecture, or z/Arch, without having to purchase IBM's
hardware.

You are a bit off on your assertion with the "only possible reason". At
this point, IBM has pulled the ability of persons to do development on
cheap sanctioned computing platforms. So Hercules allows that
development to be done. Then that software can be moved, at a later
point, to an actual mainframe.

Some of these sysprogs even get involved in the support of Herc, and so
learn things about hardware functions controlled by micro-code, and so
get a much better feel for how things are done/should be done. It
improves their understanding.

Me thinks that your conclusion(s) is a bit jaded. It might be that VM,
VSE, VS1, etc. programmers may want the rest of the world to stop
thinking that rebooting solves 99% of the problems. Well, in my case,
rebooting to Linux fixed the Windoze problems...

Therefore, my conclusion is that you are a Jedi-Knight.

Regards,
Steve Thompson

Opinions expressed by poster are strictly those of the poster and do not
necessarily reflect the opinions of posters employer.