Ah, but then along came Sarbanes-Oxley which changed the rules for a lot of end
users.  There is at least one such "compliant" storage device out there that
takes an expiration period in units of seconds -- and the field is 64 bits
wide.  Customers are actually looking for retention periods of 50 and 100 years
to be enforced by the storage "hardware."  (Obviously, the data could never
"live" in this one device for that long, but the manufacturer has convinced
customers that there will be a migration path down the road and that all of the
metadata like retention period will migrate along with the data in a secure
way.)

I wasn't surprised that CONVTOD didn't support dates beyond 2042; it would have
just saved me a lot of work if it had.  I understand the reasoning that the
developers likely went through, as you suggest, and I too would have probably
came to the same decision given the same circumstances.

At 07:04 PM 9/4/2007, Edward Jaffe wrote:

>Since the "long" TOD design was delivered with 9672 G5 -- prior to
>z/Architecture and its new grande and N3 logical instructions but no *so* long
>before that they were unaware of the upcoming "revolution" -- the developers
>might have decided to wait until a richer, easier to use instruction set
>became available for dealing with such humongous numbers -- especially, since
>there wasn't any apparent immediate need for date processing beyond 2042.
>
>Given similar conditions, I probably would have done the same thing.

Art Celestini       Celestini Development Services
Phone: 201-670-1674                    Wyckoff, NJ
Mail sent to the "From" address  used in this post
will be rejected by our server.   Please send off-
list email to:  ibmmain<at-sign>celestini<dot>com.