Previously, I said:
   Two replies I received suggested that I copy the LRECL=32756 datasets to
   a smaller LRECL, and compare those.  I didn't put much hope in this
   because I had already run the compare overriding both input LRECLs to be
   29175, and I have had considerable success for many years overriding
   DCBs.  So I was confident nothing would change.

   Well, I'm happy to report that changing the LRECL of the datasets used
   in the compare worked! and I'm very happy.  But now, I'm puzzled: why
   didn't the input file LRECL overrides work?!

This just in:
... Anyway SuperC (in its wisdom) takes the input datasets characteristics
(LRECL, BLKSIZE etc) and overrides them when the DELDD DD is opened. (Even
if lower LRECL is defined on the DCB) ...  This response is from IBM
Support.

The problem I was having was attempting to override the DCB of a dataset
with a known highest LRECL less than the file's DSCB LRECL of 32756.  The
feature, UPDPDEL (Update Prefixed Delta lines) prefixes the delta data with
info I found very convenient to exploit, as opposed to the non-prefixed
method, UPDLDEL (Update Long Control with all matches and delta changes)
that required coding I don't have time to write (yet).

So, IBM has missed an opportunity to document their relatively  nonstandard
(but perfectly valid) program override of the DCB before OPEN.  I feel that
this is not a good thing when it's done in a utility!  The doc does say:
"The update data set is a variable-length data set reflecting the input
source files' characteristics."  But I think a little more info could help
folks exploit the power of such an awesome facility as SUPERC.

FYI

Michael