I *think* the way this works is that you should always bookmark and use
the www.ibm.com URLS and remove the -304 -306 etc.  I think the web pages
are shared somehow among a whole bunch of servers and that is what causes
the www-###.ibm.com format.   If you include the number, then I think you
are asking to go to a particular server.   If you leave out the number,
then you should get routed to whatever is up at the time.

--Roger Bolan

"Vernooy, C.P. - SPLXM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
09/05/2007 02:46 AM
Please respond to
IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>

IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: software support site down

"Jim McAlpine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> On 9/5/07, Vernooy, C.P. - SPLXM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > My old page still allows me to find ptfs:
> > http://www-304.ibm.com/jct01004c/systems/support/z/zos/index.html
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> > Kees.

> Thanks Kees, that works fine.  BTW, why do they have so many urls to
access
> the same thing.  I suppose I should feel lucky that they do.

I don't understand that either, it looks like the wheel is being
reinvented every 3 months, when they hire a new trainee.

The chaos in the internet world is a great contrast with the mainframe
world where I grew up in. This week I downloaded the latest
documentation CD from BCM and saw they made a mess of it again. The CD
contains a start-up PDF that launches the access to the entire CD, a
nice idea. We copy the CD contents to our LAN and publish the launching
application to our users. I complained many years ago that they changed
the name of the launching PDF and I had to redistribute a new link each
time and indeed they promised that the PDF would be called LAUNCH.PDF
from then on. But not very much to my surprise the latest launcher is
called "launch_66517.htm". This is not the kind of work that I am
waiting for when installing a new Mainview release!