Robert

I've send you a file which summarises the search order issue.

You'll see from the end of the document that not everything was clear but this is "par for the course" in regard to CS IP documentation.

-

I have a tentative recommendation which goes as follows:

- Set up a resolver procedure.

You necessarily have a resolver procedure running and, if you haven't created your own, it uses a well-hidden procedure called not "RESOLVER", as you might be sure it must be, but IEESYSAS, a general purpose procedure which can be used whenever a DD-statement need not be added to the EXEC statement.

- Be sure to specify COMMONSEARCH in your "resolver", SETUP, file.

If you are using a local file for name to address translation, you can use the sensible format as defined in the CS IP Configuration Guide. section 1.5.4.4, "Creating ETC.IPNODES and /etc/ipnodes".

- I am assuming you don't want to be too complicated for the moment so define a "client[1] data set" using the GLOBALTCPIPDATA statement in your "resolver", SETUP, file.

Note that, when you use the GLOBALTCPIPDATA statement, all parameters which relate to using a name server necessarily reside in the specified file. This becomes important only when you start getting clever and try to concatenate this data set with another data set.

- Similarly assuming you don't want to be too complicated for the moment and that you are defining name to address relationships in a local file rather than using the name server system - and you have specified COMMONSEARCH as I suggested above, you should define the name to address data set using the GLOBALIPNODES statement in your "resolver", SETUP, file.

You may have noticed that Sheila mentions using the DEFAULTIPNODES statement in an earlier post. This is similar to the GLOBALIPNODES statement but comes last in the search order rather than first.

-

That deals with the "Base resolver configuration file" and the "Local host table".

In order to keep the remaining files as simple as possible, given that you are unlikely to need to change the supplied files, simply create TCPIP.ETC.PROTO and TCPIP.ETC.SERVICES files so that they can be dynamically allocated by file name - one of the features of Communications Server (CS) IP which reveals its VM heritage.

You can probably simply use the internal version of the translate table.

Chris Mason

[1] "Client" here refers to the relationship of CS IP-related address spaces, the "client" address spaces, which rely on the main CS IP address space, the "server" address space. The file is otherwise referred to as the TCPIP.DATA file which again reflects the VM heritage.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Johnston, Robert E" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>