-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of John Eells
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 7:35 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: ServerPac Installs and dataset allocations

<SNIP>
Oddly enough I'd looked already.  I wrote the SMS support spec for
ServerPac and I'd have been acutely aware of defects related to the
design or its execution.  Even now, as you see, I retain some degree of
professional interest.

In any event, searching for ServerPac, volser, and SMS return one hit in
RETAIN, OW54994, which has nothing to do with primary or secondary space
allocation specification.  ServerPac and SMS return 21 hits (most are
even for ServerPac ;-), none of which have to do with space allocation
specification either.  Dialog defects, incorrectly built JCL and such,
sure, but I found nothing that says the code that processes the space
allocation amounts is broken.
<SNIP>

I think I see the problem. I have not been talking about the allocation
from the viewpoint of amount of space but VOLSER specific issues.
ServerPac logic was, shall we say, declaring volumes to be SMS volumes,
based on the first two digits of the VOLSER. This then made volumes
in-eligible for the datasets that were specifically set to go to those
volumes.

Example: CMSRES, CMSCAT, CMSnnn as you can see start with "CM". But when
telling the install what the volume was for SMS control, it saw the "CM"
and decided from that point forward that any volume starting with CM was
an SMS controlled volume.

Regards,
Steve Thompson