Hello everybody,

I've seen some weird XCFAS behavior in one of our systems recently that I'm
trying to understand/explain so I need your help.
This used to be a 3 way sysplex on 2 cpcs and everything was fine. The company
I work for then decided to outsource it and
we kind of lost control over what happens and sometimes we get some not-so-nice
surprises. This started to happen on our
development image last week; it's a 300mip capped system, so it normally runs
at 100% lpar cpu, with a dozen of db2 ddf threads,
batch jobs and tso regions. But since then, with appearly the same loads it
hungs cpu constrained. Rmf mon3 showed xcfas as the
primary cause of cpu wait for every application. Looking further into rmf mon3,
I uncovered that isglock access rate increased by
10 times when system was slow; I also found that our sysplex turned to 11
systems with at least 6 of them with production kind
of load.

My conclusions are:

-The capped lpar is suffering and loosing competition on sysplex resources due
to it's low priority.
-Some hardware/software configuration change is making this (and maybe every)
image to make a lot more grs calls.

And my questions are:

-How adding new images would negatively impact performance on existing ones
even if new images do not share files or databases
with existing ones?
-Can isglock structure be split over several cfs - rmf shows we have 4 cfs
active - and can traffic be directed to a specific cf?
(I'm almost sure that the answer is NO but I might perfectly be wrong)

Thanks a lot in advance for your help,

Walter Trovijo Jr.