From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Jim Mulder
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 3:29 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Concurrent Upgrade Puzzlement.

Jim Mulder   z/OS System Test   IBM Corp.  Poughkeepsie,  NY

IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU> wrote on 09/13/2007

01:09:35 PM:

> I don't understand this state either :-)

 ..snip ..

> One here is worried that we are actually still using the fourth CP,
but
> at full speed. When we next POR or IPL, we could take an unexpected
> performance hit.

  This is working as intended.  You are not using the fourth
physical CP.

  The removal of a physical CP will be blocked only if it would reduce
the number of physicals below the number of currently online CPs in
all active zones which use dedicated processors, plus at least one
CP for the shared pool.  LPAR will allow a zone which uses
shared CPs and has more online processors than the number
remaining in shared pool after removal to continue to run in this
overcommitted state, but of course that is not optimal from a
performance point of view, so we would recommend that you use
the MVS   CF CPU(x),OFFLINE  command to reduce the number of
online logical CPs in any zone so that it does not exceed
the number of processors in the shared pool.  One you do this,
LPAR will not allow you to CF CPU(x),ONLINE   to get back
into an overcommited state.

Jim Mulder   z/OS System Test   IBM Corp.  Poughkeepsie,  NY

intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. The
message, together with any attachment, may contain confidential and/or
privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, printing, saving,
copying, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply
email and delete all copies.