On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 06:37:50 +0100, Phil Payne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
RESEARCH.FREESERVE.CO.UK> wrote:

>> Of course there was a console ...
>
>Which is why I added "in the conventional sense".  Your apparent need to
snipe at every post I
>make is becoming tiresome.
>
>And I would have called it a "control panel", not a console.  The only way it
could talk to
>you was to halt at specific adresses.  The only way you could talk back was
via sense
>switches.  Flick 'A' on, press start - that kind of thing.  Not a console "in
conventional
>sense".

Phil, you are 100% correct. We used some instruction sequence like this to
communicate with the operator:
*       ASK OPERATOR WHAT NEXT:
         H     111,111                  LOAD 1's into A + B Address
ASK    BSS  MONTHLY,1             START MONTHLY TOTALS IF SENSE-SW=1
         BSS  DAILY,2                  RUN DAILY IF SENSE-SW=2
EOJ    H     999,999                   LOAD 9's into A + B Address
         B     EOJ                         END OF JOB

The Halt ("H") would freeze all flashing lights on the console, the A and B
address lights would display the fake address (1's, 9's) in binary. The
operator
would wake up, realize what happened, look up the operations manual or Job
Setup sheet, flick the requested toggle switches up/down, press the "Start"
button, ...and doze off again.

Now, don't be too hard on Shmuel, he has written a few, somewhat more
useful posts in the past...:-).

Andreas F. Geissbuehler
AFG Consultants Inc.
http://www.afgc-inc.com/