On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:33:56 -0500 Vic Petrone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:>I did some testing and more reading and discovered the following...

:>a) The Extended Addressability Guide says that each workunit (TCB or SRB)
:>has its own stack. From that I it appears that the IRB is sharing the stack
:>with the orginating task. So, I won't be using the stack to save the state in
:>the exit. Hence the second question on the size of the save area provided by
:>the system for the exit.

Why can't you use the stack? The IRB blocks the RBs older than it.

:>b) I checked the contents of 4(r13) and 0(r14) upon entry to the ETXR. 4
:>(r13) does not contain F6SA, so I assume it's a standard 72 byte save area;
:>and r14 does point to an SVC 3.

Sounds reasonable.

:>As Binyamin noted, the system requires the ETXR to restore the regs. Since
:>the doc is not specific, I'll have to save and restore both GPRs and ARs -
just
:>to be on the safe side.

On the other hand, it may be doc that was true at MVS 3.8 and is no longer
required.

:>As an FYI... I'm using the ETXR for cleanup and to inform the originating
task
:>(attaching task) that a child has terminated. There are a varying number of
:>child subtasks, so I do cleanup in the ETXR and use a single ECB to post the
:>originating task that a child terminated. There is a queue of control blocks
:>(one per child) that the originating task can then check to determne which
:>child terminated and take appropriate action if necessary.

Sounds reasonable.

--
Binyamin Dissen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.dissensoftware.com