Mark Zelden writes:
>That's what happens when bean counters make
>the decisions and don't consider the human aspects
>(time, training etc.)

It's rare that I defend the "bean counters," but I'd just like to point out
that many good business cases do consider (and cost) time, training, and
other such factors.  Which is why I keep harping on the point, to go off on
a slight tangent, that mainframers need to be very dynamic and flexible,
and positively eager to deliver new business function.  Yes, the function
should work, but it also shouldn't take forever to deliver.

Modern mainframe architecture supports those objectives like nothing else.
Sometimes the thinking -- not talking about you, Mark -- needs to catch up
with the capabilities.  Business (markets, products, suppliers....) really
does(do) change, often, and the best case of all is if IT *anticipates*
that change.

OK, sorry about the slight topical detour there.

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect
Specializing in Software Architectures Related to System z
Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan and IBM Asia-Pacific
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]