From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Edward Jaffe
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 2:46 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: IBMLink SEV1 ticket 33180908 ETA 5PM

Jousma, David wrote:
> YEP! I can attest to that.  Just got my 3270 interface working last
> week.  Took a few calls to IBMLINK support to get things worked out.
> As Ed J. pointed out awhile back, at the end of October, no new
> VM/3270 migrations will be allowed.  Get it while you can.

IBM *continues* to exercise extremely poor judgment with respect to this
six-year-old debacle!

Instead of leaving the 3270 interface alone until the web interface
proves itself worthy of taking over, they plan to "sunset" the VM
administrative functions at the end of October 2007 -- even as SEV1
outages continue to be lodged against the web-based system! What are
they thinking?!

These "decision makers" don't seem to grasp the simplicity of concept
that disallowing new 3270 users after October 31 will only serve to make
things worse. Some customers, like Mr. Jousma, are only just now getting
their redundant connections in place. This redundancy provides IBM with
"breathing space" -- i.e., more time -- to get their web-based system
working right without exposing their customer base to more catastrophic
IBMLink outages.

I don't know if it's hubris or just plain stupidity. But, it costs them
nothing to leave the existing VM administrative application alone. Why
on earth would these people elect to take additional risks after causing
so much customer dissatisfaction over this issue?! I don't get it...

I predict this bad decision is destined for yet another embarrassing
reversal unless they can get a _firm handle_ on their web authentication
problems over the next month or so. And, after six years of watching
them flounder with this project, I don't have much faith in that. But,
only time will tell... O:-)
<SNIP>