Jim,

Do you happen to remember whether there was a locked padlock symbol at the
lower right of the Host On-Demand window?  If so, that would indicate that
the connection is encrypted.

A few years ago I did an awful lot of work with a particular state
government to help them get Host On-Demand installed and properly secured
for their needs.  In their case the accessible mainframe applications and
data were (are) very valuable and very private, including such things as
the state prison system records.  So we had a lot of reviews, discussion,
design consultations, etc. to configure Host On-Demand appropriately.  What
you observed would not be possible, for example.

But other state systems vary.  There are even a few totally open and public
3270 access points, such as university library book catalog systems.  One
thing that's usually a requirement for any system that demands a logon is
to encrypt the connection.  Otherwise it's much easier for someone to
intercept the logon information (user ID, password).  So if indeed there is
a hole here -- and I agree about reporting it -- then probably the very
first remediation I would take is to get that HOD session encrypted.
(That's assuming the Internet access is needed; often it is.)  I'm not
talking about "https" in the Web address -- that's irrelevant and
unnecessary, actually.  HOD isn't the part that needs protection.  It's the
3270 connection itself, indicated by the padlock at the lower right.  Now,
that may not be sufficient -- it wasn't for my particular state government
customer -- and additional design steps may be warranted.  But it's a basic
configuration setting which is quite important for most.  Ever since at
least OS/390 V2R6 (I think) it has been quite easy to enable SSL for
TN3270E on the host side.

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect
Specializing in Software Architectures Related to System z
Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan and IBM Asia-Pacific
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]