John (and IBM-MAIN)
  I didn't "jump in" to this thread as I never quite figured out exactly
what you wanted.  (Your "trap the name" didn't tell me how or where you
wanted to do this).

FYI,
  The "traditional" way for a COBOL application program to let a "common"
subroutine know where it is being called from this time is to actually PASS
it the name of the caller - as a parameter.  This assumes CALLer and CALLee
both were "designed" for this.  Crude, but it works <G>.

You might also want to have your IBM "marketing support" submit a request
and reference SHARE requirement:

  SSLNGC0313587  New LE Callable Service to get (various) Program Names

which explicitly asked for an LE callable service that would do what you
have asked for (amount other things).

In January 2004, IBM responded with a "RECOGNIZED" response to this - but
has not updated it since then.

news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...