<snip>
OK ... Here is a real long shot ... I expect that I will be jumped
all over (But what the heck - live dangerously) as to why this is not
possible ... How about picking up an old Radio Shack TRS-80 on E- bay to
do the copying (TRS-80 used 8-inch drives).
  .
The only reason I mention this is because many decades ago there was
an 'urban legend' that someone had, in fact, taken an IPL floppy drive
and put it into a TRS-80 and modified the microcode and managed to
cause havoc for the IBM CE's.

-

Memory is questionable so take it for what its worth. I believe IBM used a "different" format floppy drive than everyone else.

Ed