Raymond Noal writes:
> Does anybody have a z/OS system (I'm using 1.8, but it does not have to
> be) running in a virtual machine under z/VM (I'm using 5.3.0, but it
> does not have to be) and the z/OS virtual machine is connected to a
> guest virtual LAN.

Yes, (z/OS 1.6 under z/VM 5.1.0 at the moment). You configure
virtual OSA NICs the same as real ones.

> If so, can you please answer the following questions:

> 1)      what is the OSA CHPID type defined as for your z/VM system?
> 2)      what are the DEVICE and LINK statements defining your guest
> virtual LAN for your TCPIP virtual machine?
> 3)      what are the DEVICE and LINK statements for z/OS's TCP/IP
> definitions for the connection to the guest virtual LAN?

> Doing a lot of RTFM-ing, it seems that the CHPID type must be OSA
> Express in QDIO mode (TYPE=OSD in the I/O Config.) and the virtual LAN
> segment must also be in QDIO mode (the only other choice is HIPERSOCKETS
> - DEFINE LAN VMLAN1 QDIO OWNER SYSTEM in the SYSTEM CONFIG file).

Yes, that'll do fine.

> The
> DEVICE and LINK statements for TCP/IP in z/OS seem to be:

> DEVICE ZVMLAN1 MPCIPA NONROUTER
> LINK VLAN1 IPAQENET ZVMLAN1

Yes.

> But there is mention made of requiring a TRL and TRLE definition running
> in VTAM.  Is this TRUE? I find it difficult to believe that I have to
> involve VTAM in this configuration. But, then again, .....

You do need such a definition to map the "ZVMLAN1" word above to the
underlying device number triple. For my configuration, I have

DEVICE TRLF7004 MPCIPA NONROUTER
LINK LNKLOCAL IPAQENET TRLF7004

for a virtual NIC interface onto a GuestLAN and the corresponding VTAM
definition (continuation characters omitted):

TRLV7004 VBUILD TYPE=TRL
*
*
TRLF7004 TRLE LNCTL=MPC,
               READ=7004,
               WRITE=7005,
               DATAPATH=7006,
               PORTNAME=OSA7004,
               MPCLEVEL=QDIO

--
Malcolm Beattie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Linux Technical Consultant, IBM Europe System z

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.