From: Howard Brazee [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wed 10/3/2007 1:37 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: FTP of fixed file off the mainframe

I am FTPing a fixed record length file from the mainframe to a Unix box
where a vendor has access to pick up that file and FTP it to his
machine.   I don't know what kind of machine he has, but he's saying
that he's missing my space fill for the shorter records.

The first thing I verified is that the file does, in fact, have spaces,
not low values on the mainframe.

Then I tried to find out what the file looks like on the Unix machine.
I opened it from my PC using Ultra-Edit, which asked if I wanted to
convert it to DOS format.   I haven't figured out what this means, so I
opened it both ways.    Pressing the end key, I go to the last non-blank
character in a record, but I have no idea whether that is the last
character or not.

I'm trying to find out whether the spaces got truncated in my FTP or
whether it happened later.