> <snip>
>
> One thing I have not see here is have you thought about making it a
> variable length record?
>
> fletch

Be careful.  If you have any programs that are already reading the
dataset you don't want to have to recode them to deal with record and
block descriptors and variable lengths.

</snip>

Tom brings up an excellent point, but based on the initial they are
changing this lrecl quite a bit. That tells me they are having to change
jobs and they miss some. If you use VB in the program, granted you may
have to change a lot of programs, but sounds like they do that any way.
While the initial effort maybe large in the long run it would be easier.
you would only have to change the copybook and recompile/relink and the
jobs would still work.

my $.02 worth

fletch