The weights only take effect when the machine is at 100%. You should check
the CPU utilization of the machine and the lpar in RMF. If the machine is
at 100% and the lpar is at 100% than this most probably did help out.

Lizette said:

I am trying to understand how weights work with LPARs.

We have 1 z890 with 2 LPARS (prod and test)

We set the weights to 65/35 for Prod vs. Test

Our DBAs said to raise it to 75/25 so that PROD would get more steam.  We
only have 3 engines

They said when we did that it got better.

Does changing the weights from 65/35 to 75/25 in favor of PROD actually
make
that much difference?  This is not a hard cap.  We are using the HMC to set
this up.

I have a couple of performance papers I have been reading (z9 Performance
Tuning Redbook).  However, I am not seeing how this is significant.

Our TEST LPAR has the basic DB2, testing, verification, Qual check out and
major TSO and application development workload.

Our PROD LPAR has just the production work for DB2.

We know our real memory is tight so we added a little more to it this
weekend.  Our DB2 environment in PROD is Data Sharing.  Therefore, there is
another physical CPU (z9) with 3 LPARs (PROD, TEST, and SYSPROG)

The two PROD boxes each have Data Sharing members on them for our 2
Production DB2s.

We share dasd between all 5 LPARs.

Hypothesis:  If I reset the weights on my 2 LPAR box to 60/40  or 75/25
what
would I see.  What reports would help me see if this is doing any good?  I
have MXG and SAS.  I can also run RMFPP.  I have not really gotten into
performance tuning on this level so I need to try and find the reports that
will help me understand this picture better.

Thanks

Lizette

Joel Wolpert
Director - Performance and Capacity Planning
Shared Data Center
Securities Industry Automation Corporation
2 Metrotech Center
New York, NY 11201
(212) 383-3323
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Visit our website at http://www.nyse.com

Note:  The information contained in this message and any attachment
to it is privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee
or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended
If you have received this communication in error, please notify the
sender immediately by replying to the message, and please delete
it from your system. Thank you.  NYSE Group, Inc.