George Dranes wrote:
I have our SMF dump jobs dumping directly to a tape dataset with LRECL=32760 and BLKKSIZE=32760,RECFM=VBS. Fortunately we are small enough to dump SMF once a day so there are no speed issues not dumping to DASD (saves a lot of dasd). I was just curious if this a a sound way of handling SMF? I've even considered making the output tape blksize something larger such as 256K but have always just stayed with the safe 32760. Thanks for any help!

As far as I understand you don't need any help <g> rather asking for opinions/comments.
My $0.02:
1. Single tape is SPOF (Single Point Of Failure). How important are your SMF data ? 2. Appending data on tape, especially MOD to a dataset can result in damage of previously recorded data. Some shops even do not allow to append data on tapes (only within the job). 3. Since you're small shop, it wouldn't be big problem to keep current SMF archives on disk. Then use HSM to backup/migrate it. Such approach gives you flexibility, you have most recent files online, older on tape (or 2 tapes - managed by HSM), the oldest files are scratched according to policy you set up.

HTH
--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

--
BRE Bank SA
ul. Senatorska 18

Sd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydzia Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sdowego, nr rejestru przedsibiorców KRS 0000025237
NIP: 526-021-50-88
Wedug stanu na dzie 01.01.2007 r. kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA (w caoci
opacony) wynosi 118.064.140 z. W zwizku z realizacj warunkowego
podwyszenia kapitau zakadowego, na podstawie uchwa XVI WZ z dnia 21.05.2003
r., kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA moe ulec podwyszeniu do kwoty 118.760.528
z. Akcje w podwyszonym kapitale zakadowym bd w caoci opacone.