On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 11:26:51 -0500 Rick Fochtman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:>>:>I write
:>>:>almost all my code in Assembler and the lack of debugging tools that I
:>>:>can imbed into a product is one of my "pet peeves".

:>>How would you like to imbed it?

:>-----------------------<unsnip>-------------------------
:>I don't really care whether it's via SPIE/ESPIE, STAE/ESTAE, or some PC
:>mechanism, as long as it's a reasonably fast mechanism. I suggested a
:>"fast path" via SPIE/ESPIE simply because I figure that a PC interrupt
:>should be fairly easy to trap through the SPIE/ESPIE mechanism in
:>Program Interrupt FLIH. It should NOT be a mechanism that requires
:>program authorization via the classic mechanism, thus available to the
:>"general case" application programmer. Even using the TRAP instructions
:>wouild be acceptable, if there's a mechanism to examine registers and/or
:>inline parameter lists and make approproate return adjustments to bypass it.

:>----------------------------------<snip>---------------------------
:>How would you expect that the end user would enable it?
:>--------------------------------<unsnip>---------------------------
:>A PARM field, a control statement, or the inclusion of a special DD
:>statement; to me, any one of these would be acceptable. Obviously, each
:>has advantages and drawbacks but these can be taken into consideration
:>during the code development/generation process.

:>I'm currently working on a new version of the ARCHIVER (CBT File 147)
:>and because of the "nature of the beast", I can't always visualze all
:>the possibilities that might lead to abends. But if someone is using it
:>and encounters a problem, being able to have him turn on a "trace/debug"
:>mechanism and recreate the problem would be of great advantage in
:>solving problems and improving the product.

:>I'm also working on tools for RACF reporting which I hope to market for
:>a very modest fee, and tools that help me debug newly-encountered
:>conditions would be of inestimable value, to me and to my prospective
:>customers. And let's face it, security is going to be a major concern in
:>computing for the foreseeable future, both in maintenance and auditing.
:>In my experience, (which I grant freely is NOT all-encompassing,)
:>reporting and auditing tools in this area are not optimal, to say the
:>least. (I remind the list of a previous post concerning a RACF auditor,
:>unnamed, who bought me a number of steak lunches, because of his lack of
:>experience and IMHO adequate training. Not his fault, but rather a
:>reflection of industry's attidute toward security at the time.)

So why doesn't the very straightforward solution of a DEBUG parm and calls to
debug logic in the code work? You can have multiple debug flags (routine entry
exit, record read, etc.).

--
Binyamin Dissen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.dissensoftware.com