On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:08:02 -0400, Pinnacle
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Due to a fairly bizarre series of circumstances, my client has lost SMF data
>twice in the last 4 months.  I'm being asked if SMF data can be duplexed.
>I've never heard of it, but has anyone else?  They're looking for real-time
>duplexing if possible.

Greetings Tom,

With the current focus on SMF as the z/OS audit trail for all of the regulatory
initiatives, your client has a valid concern.

Has there been a complete examination of the entire SMF processing?  A
quicker and less costly alternative to duplexing is to modify the existing SMF
processing so that it is iron clad.  I would think that correcting the existing
SMF processing is needed regardless of what long term solution is chosen.

After the existing SMF processing is corrected, I guess you can identify all of
the possible ways to duplex the data, laying out their associated costs and
probability of data loss.  To be fair, I would think most forms of duplexing
will
also have some risk of data loss because of "fairly bizarre series of
circumstances".  These could include hardware failure, software failure,
implementation design flaws, human error (sysprog deletes the data, operator
drops a tape, tape gets lost, tape management scratches tape early, etc...).

Cheers...

Michael