On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:34:25 -0500 Peter Ten Eyck
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:>Enterprise COBOL 3.4.1 on z/OS 1.7

:>The following does not abend:

:>01 FIELD-1 PIC 9(3).
:>01 FIELD-2 PIC 9(3) COMP-3.

:>MOVE FIELD-1 TO FIELD-2.

:>Note: Prior to the move FIELD-1 contains "86 " thats F8F640

:>What COBOL or LE option(s) do I need to change to make this code abend?

The proper thing to do is

    IF  FIELD-1 NOT NUMERIC

which will catch cases like "ABC" and as well

If you wish to force an abend ......

01 ZERO-VALIE  PIC S9(3) COMP-3 VALUE 0.

   ADD ZERO-FIELD FIELD-1 GIVING FIELD-2.

--
Binyamin Dissen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.dissensoftware.com