al chu wrote:

I am learning IPCS and formating a control block using the model in IPCS.

I wrote a model using BLSQMDEF and BLSQMFLD, and compiled linkedited it.

The command CBF xxx MODEL(MODyyy) works fine. Most of fields look good and
readable.

However some fields are a double word STCK timestamp and some fields are a
double word which contains elapsed time in units of 16 microsecond.
I'd like format it nicely in HH:MM:SS.nnnnn format. I have no problem with
formatting if it is normal batch assembler program.

Questions I have;

Is it possible to format it using the model only? I searched the archive and
found Bob Wright's response to a similar question (dated Jul 13, 2006),
however it shows how to format flags using an additional model definition.

It is possible to rely on formatting support supplied with z/OS to do the formatting of interest to you. The model processor allows a BLSQMFLD macro to say that your big data area contains instances of smaller data areas for which formatting support is provided by others, e.g.

        BLSQMFLD NAME=BLSRDATC,OFF=ESSYD-ESSY,LEN=L'ESSYD,            *
              DECODE,CALLCBF,NEWLINE,MODELNAME,STACK,VIEW=X'0220'

I extracted the preceding from one of the models supplied by the IPCS component of z/OS MVS. Translated to English it says that an instance of a STRUCTURE(BLSRDATC) resides at offset ESSYD-ESSY and occupies L'ESSYD bytes. IPCS is to invoke the formatter for that structure on the next occasion that a break between output lines comes along if the VIEW specified by the caller has any of the nonzero bits on in it that match the X'0220' mask.

Appendix D of z/OS MVS IPCS Commands lists roughly 6 pages of structures for which some special support is provided by z/OS. Most of the ones listed include formatting support. Your question would seem to point to the use of either TODCLOCK or TODCNULL formatters. (TODCNULL considers an all-zero field of 8 bytes to be the absence of a valid TOD clock value.

Bob Wright - MVS Service Aids