>START FTPD, which runs for a few seconds, fires up FTPD1 as a "UNIX job", then
>ends.  FTPD1 stays up (visible in SDSF) until explicitly stopped.

This is how z/OS emulates UNIX processes.
Some are invoked by fork() which leaves the 'parent' task running. All invoked
this way will terminate when the invoking task ends.
Others (like FTPD) are invoked by spawn() which leaves the process running even
when the 'parent' goes away. These are better managed by modifying USS address
spaces (OMVS) to terminate, or through the shell.

This is not new to z/OS 1.7, or even OS/390; I think it came out with ESA 5.

-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!