On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 09:17:16 -0400, Warner Mach wrote:

>>z/OS does not limit DDNAMES to a single appearance in a step (although you'd
>>be surprised how many think otherwise).

FSVO "z/OS".  I can readily cause a failure with:

    14:44:15 IAT4410  DDNAME INPUT    IS DUPLICATED WITHIN STEP
    14:44:15 IAT4801 JOB JOBCARD  (JOB09982) EXPRESS CANCELED BY INTERPRETER DSP

I prefer this behavior by the way.  Tolerating duplicate DDNAMEs invites
undetected errors.  The behavior with referbacks is bizarre.  I can't
guess what happens with overrides.

>>                                    ...  By crafty use of multiple DDs with
>>identical names that resolve to different datasets (even to completely
>>different data set names).  Since any DD can use traditional data sets
>> or PATH= it is also quite general.

It's surprising and dismaying how many z/OS utilities reject "DD PATH="
for no reason beyond sheer bigotry.

>When I read this I thought it was pretty neat. Never had occurred to
>me that this was possible ... It is still neat to know. However, as a
>practical matter I could not think of an instance where it would be
>preferable to simply concatenating the data sets:

If you simply concatenate the data sets, how do you recognize the
boundaries between catenands?

-- gil